Thursday, May 16, 2013

Decorating the front door

One of the many things I enjoy is making this house our home. We bought our house in December of 2012, and have been re-finishing furniture, painting walls, and adding our personal style since the second we moved in. One thing I always wanted to do was have a festive front door wreath. The first few were ok, but this last one... well, it was the worst one yet, to say I needed to toss it was an understatement.  
 
It was a good idea in Pinterest land... maybe it was my execution or the color choices, all I know is that it needed to go, and fast!
 
So, what better time than the present and with Memorial Day approaching, why not an American flag theme?

I am in LOVE with the way it turned out!
Here are a few of the materials used and the steps to make it...
Any size foam wreath
LOTS of pins
Fabric-I got mine from Walmart
I used 3 fat quarters of the blue stars
1 solid red, 1 printed red and red I had left from another project
the white I had left over from several projects, just used 3 different kinds
I left the burlap from a previous wreath tightly wrapped around so if you were to look at it from the sides you see the burlap instead of the green foam. (Saves time/pins/and fabric)
Then, just cut the fabric into squares. I cut mine roughly 3x3 in. They do not all have to be the same, you wont tell the difference at all in the end.
Next, you pinch the fabric in the middle of the square and let it fold up onto itself, like it is a little flower. Take you pin, and pin the folded pinched up section into the wreath. Now is the time consuming part, using lots of pins, continue to do this all the way around. Once you get the amount of the blue section, start your stripes and alternate red and white.
To make the bow.. Cut a strip on the blue stars fabric, lay flat, then join the two ends in the middle and pin together.
 
I hope that makes sense! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Happy Thursday!
Follow me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - so cute!!! Can you come to my house and bedazzle it with festive goodness, please?! I still have fake Easter eggs in an apothecary jar on our entry table. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darci, this was soo super easy, and a much much needed change!

    ReplyDelete